We believe that our users (mainly managers but also their direct reports) will be more likely to interact, stay engaged, and learn from Hazel if they have a strong emotional bond with the bot.
To achieve this goal, we’re making Hazel’s UI more conversational and developing a more human voice and tone.
And we need to design a compelling avatar / character / user pic to personify Hazel.
Character directions to explore:
- Futuristic robots with different degrees of anthropomorphism (beware the uncanny valley)
- Animals (e.g. squirrel, fox, etc.) with different degrees of anthropomorphism
- No hippos and racoons
- All characters should be less cutesy / clumsy / child-like, and more smart / intelligent / adult-like (but not elderly)
Stylistic directions to explore:
- Flat (e.g. Polly.ai)
- Sketch-like (think Intercom.com style or similar)
- Cartoon (e.g. Yalabot.com, Mailchimp.com)
- The avatar must work well in a square, a square with rounded corners or a circle.
- It should scale down well, all the way down to 16x16px. The most common size use case will be 38x38 (i.e. standard Slack user pic size).
- It should look good at larger sizes as well, e.g. 500x500px.
See the complete design brief here: