We have opened a new Aikido martial arts organization called Aikido USA, starting with a large new dojo in Dallas, Texas. We need a new logo that will be used for all signs, printing, and website. The logo should be easy to read and understand, in both printed and online forms, and should be attractive and modern, with a nod to Japanese traditional art style as well. It should draw people to find out more about Aikido and our schools. Our website is AikidoUSA.com - this is temporary only, since we will be using your new logo design to create an all-new website.
Aikido is unique in the history of martial arts, known for its harmony, defensiveness in approach, flowing techniques, using an attacker’s energy, and flowing circular movements.
THEME: We would like the new logo to somehow reflect the following attributes and ideas, to the extent possible:
1. Modern Martial Art
2. Flowing Movements
3. Traditional Japanese Culture
4. USA (American location / audience)
5. Simplicity, Harmony, Way of Life
The martial arts dojo will attract students who already know about Aikido, but also will attract new students who have never been exposed to martial arts. Therefore the logo should be friendly and easy to read, should emphasize the word Aikido and USA, and also incorporate the idea of “Japanese Martial Art” since the majority of people in the US know almost nothing about Aikido.
There should be a second line that says something like “Japanese Martial Art” or “The Modern Art of Self Defense” or similar conveyance of meaning in an easy-to-read format. We have considered these 2 subtitles, and are open to your ideas.
• Large Wording with Subtitle
• An Original, Attractive Symbol to be included beside the words, consistent with Aikido and Japanese style
• Simple or Abstract in nature
• Bold characters at least for Aikido (“Aikido” should have the emphasis
• Original source artwork in vector format saved as PNG format for editing in Fireworks.
• One small version, One Large version - One black background, one white background
• Variations ok
• You are welcome to provide the art for stationary also since we need that too. However this is a logo contest and the logo design will be compared with other designs on the merit of the design itself.
DO NOT want:
• Neon or primary colors
• A lot of detail/ intricate drawings
• Anything violent, gothic, or related to Karate, etc - this is not Karate. Please look briefly at the martial art itself; it is not TaeKwonDo, not Karate, not Kung Fu, not a ring sport, etc. Aikido is totally unique and the logo should reflect the harmony, described above.